Our aim is to represent as much of the world and culture of tea as possible. We stock teas which are well known, lesser known and rare gems, and we have collected and created, tried and tested amazing and unique tea recipes. We also stock some beautiful tea ware so that you can prepare and enjoy our tea in the comfort of your own home.
IMPORTANT: We process online orders Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
21st Anniversary Sale 7th til 23rd May – 20% off your favourite teas
We are honoured to supply the following establishments: Made Guid, Dumbarton; The Steamie, Argyle Street, Glasgow; Monchyl Mhor Hotel, Balquidder; North Star Cafe, Botanic Gardens, Glasgow; Pie Pie, Central Glasgow; Bam, Govanhill, Glasgow; McHullins, Merchant Street, Glasgow; Locavor, Govanill, Glasgow; Lily&Rose, Bearsden, Glasgow; Big Sky Studios, Kings Cross, London; Neighbourhood, Shawlands, Glasgow; Wigtown Post Office, Wigtown; Absolute Roasters, Glasgow
Tchai-Ovna House of Tea is Scotland’s first speciality tea house, stocking and serving over 80 carefully chosen, high grade loose tea. Many of our teas are ethically sourced, Fairtrade, organic and direct sourced. Through the 20 years, 360 days a year and 12 hours a day, we have collected and perfected traditional chai recipes – all blended in-house (Yogi Chai,Desi Chai etc.) and invented our own recipes (Fairies Blood, Honey Spiced Tea etc.).
We also (usually )have an eclectic menu of vegetarian and vegan food to match our tea when you visit us, and a busy schedule of events – from gigs to poetry readings. All this will be return once the Coronavirus situation has passed.
Tchai-Ovna is more than just a shop, veggie restaurant and venue – it is a way of life and part of the fabric of the local and world community. When you purchase a packet of our speciality tea, you are not just buying some tea, but you are experiencing a special and unique culture.
To find out more about us, our history and culture please see the blog page.
Tchai-Ovna House of Tea was made by friends and volunteers in 2000, and is the brainchild of Edinburgh born brothers Martin and Robin Fell. Though hidden away… Read more “The Tchai-Ovna – who we are”
The world of tea is as fascinating as it is varied, but for that reason it can be difficult to know where to start. One of the… Read more “Green Tea – The emerald dew”
? Entries still open for the Tchai Your Best photo competition! Our shop is all nooks and crannies – can you help us bring them to light?… Read more “Tchai Your Best Photo Competition”
From the very first day of our foundation, we have striven to provide a busy, fulfilling and entertaining program of events. Check them out here on our events calendar. We will be hosting both physical events when it becomes possible (2020) and online events.
We exist online and as a physical entity!
Find us: from Kelvinbridge Underground, head up Great Western Road, crossing the bridge, then turn left down Otago Street. The shop is located down a cobbled lane called Otago Lane, the last left before Gibson Street.
Tchai-Ovna House of Tea, 42 Otago Lane, Glasgow G12 8PB, (0141) 357 4524
Great news, you can now sit in and drink lovely tea and eat wonderful food.
- Monday 12-3 (outside seating and takeaway)
- Wednesday (outside seating and takeaway)
- Thursday 11-22:30 (outside, inside, seating and takeaway)
- Friday 11-22:30 (outside, inside and takeaway)
- Saturday 11-22:30 (outside, inside and takeaway)
- Sunday 11-22:30 (outside, inside and takeaway)
Our opening times will be reviewed and may change due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis. We will keep you informed.
By law we have had to introduce strict measures for your safety and for our staff.
- Entry into the premises is only allowed if you are wearing a good quality mask covering mouth and nose, worn at all times except whilst seated. If you turn up without, you can buy one from us for £2, we can bring it to the door.
- We accept mask exemptions for health reasons with a valid exemption card.
- We operate a track and trace system, which we hand write into a dedicated book. The details are not put online or shared with any third party and are disposed of after 21 days. Our policy is that one of each party must give their full name, telephone number and email address/home or work address. This applies to seated custom outside too.
- You must wear a mask when ordering at the veranda hatch
- There is an intercom system for entry which allows us to manage your table properly and due to the layout of the shop aids social distancing.
- As a result of Covid-19 restrictions we are operating at 1/2 capacity, it is no longer possible to share tables with different groups of people so booking in groups is encouraged.
- Only two households are allowed to share a table at one time.
Welcome to Tchai-Ovna’s pre-booking system. Amongst other things, due to the impact of the coronavirus we have had to reduce our capacity. For this reason we are encouraging everyone who want to come and chill out again in our tea shop to prebook using this online booking system in order to make sure you get a table and don’t have to wait too long. The good news, tis that we have a good amount of beautiful outdoor seating.
- Booking slots 1.5 hours and require a £10 deposit person which is then refunded when you arrive.
- Bookings must be made at least 1 hour in advance of the desired time.
- If you would rather just walk in, that is still possible but please be aware that priority will be given to reservations. We have quite a lot of outside seating.
When you place a booking you can request a table, and if it is available then we will try to get it for you. For smaller bookings we will prioritise smaller tables, and for larger bookings we will prioritise larger tables. Just for reference table 3 is the Zen den and table 6 is the fireplace.